Monday, January 29, 2007

Kenwood FP116 Food Processor

Thought now would be a good time to do a kitchen appliance review, as my weekend cookery was disrupted by my new-ish (6 months old) food processor breaking.
Time and again I read articles saying that, although this certainly isn't true with all aspects of consumerism, that you get what you pay for in the kitchen.
And, of course, I resolutely ignored that advice last summer, when I bought a food processor for the first time. As I hadn't owned one before, I was a little suspicious that I wouldn't get good value-for money, and it'd end up with the sandwich-toasters and cafetieres in the back of my pantry. I also expected that it'd be a blooming pain to wash up.
So, I went for something cheap & cheerful, and got the FP116 online for £27. Anyhow, it turns out that it's been incredibly useful.

Size: I love the fact that it's so compact. It's no problem to leave it on display permanently in a tiny kitchen. It's got a capacity of 0.8 litres, which is ideal for me, but wouldn't be any good if you're cooking for more than 3 or 4 people.

Power: There's a 300W motor, with isn't adjustable. Again, that's fine for small amounts of cooking, but I think you'd be struggling if you were cooking on a large scale. It's moderately noisy, but certainly nothing louder than I'd expect.

Performance: Lots of good attachments. There's a chopping blade, slicer, grater, whisk, citrus press, and a canopy to boost the bowl capacity when you're blending (to just over 1 litre). I've already got a blender, so haven't tested that out. The rest work very well, and when you're chopping or slicing, there's actually a lot less wastage than I'd expected.

Overall: In fact, I reckon it was a decent purchase, except for one thing. And it's a big thing. The build quality of the plastic bowl and lid. The bowl is pretty thin (only about 1.5 or 2 mm)- if you dropped it or knocked it on something solid, I think it'd crack very easily. And the lid's even worse, especially the catch that locks it onto the main body of the processor. I'd already cracked it once a few weeks ago, purely when opening/closing the lid, and on Saturday it snapped off into 3 pieces, and I certainly wasn't being heavy-handed with it.

I've been onto Kenwood, and they've given good customer service (ie. a free replacement lid), but I think that was mainly due to being on hold for 30 minutes before I got through. It'll be hugely exciting to see how long the next one lasts. They're charging £9 for a new lid, which at 33% of the cost of the whole thing, is shocking.
If you've got any recommendations for a moderately more expensive replacement processor, please let me know (especially if the bowl and lid are sturdy).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hinari-Lifestyle-Processor-Blender-Speeds/dp/B000179H7E

I've had this processor for about 3 years without any complaints. Admitted that I'm cooking for a family, so as a single guy, it might be a bit big, but for price and relibility, I can recommend it.
Lynn xxx

Mart said...

Many thanks, Lynn. Your Hinari looks good. I think I need to start going to a few kitchen shops and get the staff to let me have a mooch.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

zeb said...

Thermomix.

OK slight difference in price. But worth every cent (penny).