Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Italian Slob

Not much posting this week, as I've either been eating other people's food (always good) or else having the same meal - tortellini with fresh chilli, garlic, pesto, and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Plus freshly-grated Parmesan and freshly-milled black pepper. It's repetitive, but I love it. Especially with a serving of steamed purple-sprouting broccoli, which is by far my favourite vegetable, after the almighty asparagus.

In keeping with the Italian theme, I'm cooking another Delia Smith recipe tonight- Tagliatelle With Gorgonzola & Toasted Walnuts. It was that, or Penne With Wild Mushrooms & Creme Fraiche. It was just a case of which set of ingredients I could lay my hands on first. I was impressed that I managed to find some delicious Cashel Blue in the first shop I tried- the awesome Nima Delicatessen, just down the road.

Anyway, the ingredients are slightly different- I'm using penne instead of tagliatelle, with the added advantage that, when I'm eating it, I'm less likely to splash cheese sauce in all directions in a four-foot radius. I'm also using Cashel Blue instead of Gorgonzola- I've tried this recipe before using each, and I think the trusty Irish cheese comes out on top.

Ingredients:
8 oz (225g) tagliatelle
4 oz (110g) creamy Gorgonzola or Cashel Blue
4 0z (110g) walnuts
2 oz (50g) butter
5 fl oz (150ml) single cream
4 spring onions, trimmed
freshly-grated Parmesan, to serve
salt & freshly-milled black pepper

Method:
Pre-heat the oven - 180 degrees C (gas mark 4, 350 degrees F).
Get the pasta water boiling.
Bake the walnuts on a baking tray for 6 mins.
Get a saucepan, & gently melt the butter over a low heat.
Add the cheese & cream, & let simmer very gently to become a creamy sauce.
Put the pasta in for boiling, and chop the walnuts into small pieces.
Finely chop the spring onions, add the ingredients to the sauce, mix with the drained pasta, & serve sprinkled with Parmesan.

Delicious, quick & easy.

No comments: