Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Happy Christmas! (Unless You're In A Chain Pub)

Handily, I'm not preparing any Christmas food, so I'm just on drinking duties. Hence no posts since last week. Thankfully, I've made some observations about English chain-pub food. No surprises, to be fair. JD Wetherspoon continues to underwhelm.
Their food & drink is cheap, but you still never feel like you're getting value for money, because it's so poor. I had a Mediterranean Pasta Bake- the menu says:

Penne pasta in a chunky tomato, basil & oregano sauce, with mixed peppers, onions, aubergines and courgettes, topped with mozzarella cheese.

Sounds great, but what I was served was floppy, overdone penne, in a thin, watery tomato sauce. I'm not convinced there was any aubergine at all, but there were definitely slivers of shrunken, slimy peppers and little, shrivelled, tasteless bits of courgette. There was some green stuff, which by a process of deduction was the herbs, which tasted of nothing.

That's OK compared to my fellow reveller Rob, who had a mixed grill. I've seen less carbon in a box of pencils- how they had the nerve to serve up such burnt, carcinogen-packed cuts is beyond me. To be fair, Rob told them (an hour later, when they decided they could be bothered to take away the plates). The chef, and the rest of the staff, thought it was hilarious that someone had complained about his food. We knew this because they were laughing about it 30 feet in front of us. Especially funny that he never got an apology or discount, though.

Well, it's widely documented that Wetherspoons doesn't give a damn about the quality of the food or drink, and it's "only" a cheap pub, so I wasn't expecting too much, which still doesn't make it OK. And they didn't have any limes for their G&T's.

At the weekend, we also went to my local Ember Inns pub. I've had many meals there, some pretty good, most decidedly average. Like Wetherspoons, Ember claim to cater for real ale drinkers. Lo and behold, they've just got one real ale on (3.9%) for the whole of the festive season. So, we decided to have the most festive drink there is, instead. Mulled wine, of course- it was advertised on all the walls & menus. Inevitably, they had run out, on a quiet Sunday afternoon. So, no mulled wine, dodgy microwaved grub, but they'd managed to play Cliff Richard down our lug-holes all afternoon. British pub chains clearly can't (be bothered) to organise a piss-up in a brewery, so it's going to be three cheers for the shareholders, rather than the customers.
And I haven't even started yet on the lack of Bathams in Birmingham now...

1 comment:

Trekkie said...

I had a jug of Green Lagoon cocktail in a Weatherspoons (well, it's cheaper that getting them individually). There was an 'object' skulking at the bottom. The barman didn't know what it was. Eventually, the manager decided that it looked like a lemon pip. A black lemon pip. Yeah, right. To me, it looked more like a tadpole. They offered to fish it out. No thank you!!!!!! No refund offered, and as I was feeling physically sick by now, I left, never to return.