Friday, December 08, 2006

Lentil Stew

That veg chilli has left me craving more lentils. This is a similar dish, but more rustic, rather than hot.

1 onion
2 cloves garlic
carrot
leek
1/4 Savoy cabbage (shredded)
lentils
2 pints veg stock
broccoli
1 tomato
mushrooms

Fry the onion, mushrooms & garlic. Add the carrot, leek, cabbage, lentils, & the stock.
Boil 10 mins, & simmer for another 10 mins. Add the broccoli, and simmer another 10 mins.
Add the chopped tomato, and season with black pepper & grated Parmesan.
I used shittake mushrooms, just because I picked them up on the cheap yesterday.
You can serve that with pretty much anything- tagliatelle, rice, potatoes, short pasta, etc.

PS- I came to cook this the other day, only to find out I'd run out of lentils- oops!!
Handily, I'd got some "country vegetable mixture" in the store-cupboard- barley, lentils, etc- which was handy, else I'd have been dining on porridge...

No comments: