Monday, November 20, 2006

Disappointing Hummus

Middle-eastern cuisine has lots of bean purees, but in the UK you only usually get (chick pea-based) hummus.
I tried a simple recipe a few weeks ago, by Brian Turner, for kidney bean hummus.

Ingredients: 110g/4oz kidney beans, 2 garlic cloves (roughly chopped), 2 tbsp olive oil. Plus, to serve, 2 slices of white bread & 2 tbsp olive oil.

Method: 1. Place the kidney beans, garlic and olive oil into a food processor and blend to a smooth paste.
2. Drizzle the bread slices with the olive oil.
3. Heat a griddle pan until hot and toast the bread for two minutes on each side until crisp and golden.
4. Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl and serve the toasts alongside.

I used brown bread, as I'm really not keen on white. It was OK, but I wouldn't bother making it again, at least not without modifying it. I think it needed some more oil mixed into it, and maybe some chilli and citrus juice, to jazz it up. Still, I managed to finish it off.

No comments: