Monday, November 27, 2006

Last Week's Food- A Retrospective

Wow, has it really been a week since I last posted? That's flown by. I've just been trying to remember what I rustled up last week, and there's not been a great deal of interesting cooking.

Last Monday & Tuesday, I had a some boiled veg - swede, carrot, broccoli, potatoes with some onions fried in oil with a splash of cider vinegar & balsamic vinegar. I tried to pick up a nut roast mixture at short notice, but couldn't get any- pull your finger out, Sainsbury!
Instead, I bought some Cauldron mushroom burgers, which were pretty bland and sloppy. Having said that, I quite like some of their other products.
Anyway, it's become apparent that I need to start making my own veggie gravy. I used to use Bisto, which was just salty and grim. I've been using Sainsbury's own-brand gravy, which isn't much better, and it seems to taste worse than I remember it.
I've got a Sarah Brown recipe for gravy, which I'll try out sometime soon- it's got to be an improvement.

Also made a few omlettes last week, and on Saturday made a dish of pasta & chickpeas in a tomato sauce.

Ingredients: tin of chopped tomatoes, cooked chickpeas, penne pasta, garlic clove, onion, tahini, balsamic vinegar, cider vinegar, veg stock (Marigold), chopped mushrooms, Gorgonzola, chilli flakes.

Method: Chop onion, and fry for 5 mins. Add the chopped garlic, and a splash of the vinegars, and the mushrooms, and fry 'til it's looking good.
Throw in the cooked chickpeas and tomatoes, add a pinch of stock powder, and the chilli flakes (I used 2 dried chillis, but whatever suits you), and stir in the tahini (approx 2 tablespoons).
Then, cook the pasta and add some cubed Gorgonzola to the sauce while it's cooking- approx 100g. Serve in a hot bowl- delicious- quite a high fat content with the tahini, but it adds a tasty, nutty depth to the sauce.

No comments: