Monday, November 13, 2006

Vegetable Curry

I'm lucky enough to live on the edge of the famous Balti Triangle, hence there's some great curry houses down the road. Unfortunately, it also means that I'm exposed to freak weather, as south Birmingham is now a tornado alley. The problem is, of course, that trying to imitate British Indian restaurant food is a dark alchemy. If you've got the patience, and the ability to consume vast amounts of oil without any negative side effects, then have a look at this excellent forum.

Anyway, here's a simple, tasty curry idea. Chilis are in season, so it's good to use 'em.

Ingredients: 2 cloves garlic (cut into slivers), 2 fresh chilis, 1 onion, celery, lentils, chestnut mushrooms, curry powder, tin of tomatoes (400g), fresh coriander.


The curry powder I'm currently using is Kohinoor Madras, which is pretty well-rounded. I'm under the impression that it doesn't matter at all which brand or blend you use, as long as it's not out-of-date, it's the cooking technique that's important. Ideally I'd have used 2 onions, but it's Sunday night, and life's too short...

Method: Boil potatoes & lentils in separate pans. Roughly chop the onion, celery & mushrooms. Slice the garlic, and de-seed and chop the chilis. I find that if you finely chop anything for a curry, there's a danger of it burning. Try not to rub your eyes or touch your sensitive bits at this point.

In a clean pan, heat plenty of oil (about 3 tbsps). Get the oil hot, add the onions, and fry for a few minutes. Turn the heat down to gentle, add the chilis, garlic, and curry powder. I use about 7 teaspoons of powder, but use however little or much you dare. Don't let the powder & oil mixture burn or dry. Keep stirring, and add a splash of water (or stock) if required. You want a consistency similar to brown sauce.

Add the celery, then the mushrooms, then the lentils & potatoes, then add the tomatoes, and cook. When ready to serve, add lots of chopped coriander. I normally have a pre-made naan bread with it- 2 mins under a grill- easy.

I'd cook it for at least 30 mins, but if I've got time, I'll cook it for at least an hour. The longer the spices are fused for, the better the taste, especially with ingredients like potatoes & lentils, which absorb flavour. Leaving the flavours to develop overnight is ideal. For the same reason, that's why I rarely taste curry when I'm cooking it- use sight and smell instead.

No comments: